- General Questions
- Applicant Questions
- Mentor Questions
DO GOOD X is an 8-week accelerator designed for early-stage social entrepreneurs passionate about developing ventures that do good in the world. What do we mean when we say “do good?” For us, doing good means that these entrepreneurs want to make a positive impact on people, their communities, and the environment. We provide underrepresented social entrepreneurs with a community of peers and mentors, an interactive process to clarify the focus and purpose of their business, and access to resources and technical assistance to advance their business.
The X reflects the intersection where faith that drives an individual’s passion to do good connects with the positive social impact they want to have on people and communities through an entrepreneurial venture.
The X also represents the mark you will make on the world by doing good. What’s your X?
There are three ways you can get involved with DO GOOD X:
- Have a concrete business idea and in the early stages of launching your business? Committed to principles of your faith that guide your desire to make a social impact through your venture? Want a community of support and resources to help you along the way? Apply to participate in the DO GOOD X Startup Accelerator. Click here to read more information.
- Are you an established entrepreneur who wants to invest your time, expertise, and guidance to support early-stage entrepreneurs? Inspired by your faith to make a positive impact on people and communities? Apply to join the DO GOOD X community of mentors. Click here for more details.
- Want to see what DO GOOD X is all about? Attend the Pitch for Good at the conclusion of the 8-week accelerator program to hear DO GOOD X Fellows pitch business ideas that address a problem people or communities face. Here, a community of investors, entrepreneurs, and business leaders gather to pledge resources, connections, or expertise to support Fellows. Stay tuned for the upcoming Pitch for Good here.
DO GOOD X has four unique components:
- We empower underrepresented social entrepreneurs and provide a community of peers and mentors, an interactive process to clarify the purpose of their business, and access to resources to advance their businesses. A New York Times article reports that women who own companies are half as likely as male founders to employ anyone other than themselves, and they generally earn less in revenue. And according to Census data in 2016, at the end of
2014, there were 5.4 million businesses, and only 17.5% of them qualified as minority-owned—even minority populations represent more than 38% of the United States. Inequality persists in the access women and people of color have to mentors, a community of entrepreneurial peers, resources, and financial support. This is where DO GOOD X steps in.
- We provide a participatory, interactive, and engaging curriculum with mentors and entrepreneurs, tools, and resources to take businesses to the next level. Our approach is not a typical classroom setting with the lone expert in the front of the room.
- We offer a combination of in-person and virtual gatherings that make participation more accessible with the demands of everyday life.
- We address and cultivate principles of faith that are essential to entrepreneurs’ resiliency and work for good in the world. According to author and journalist David Bornstein, who writes extensively on the topic of social innovation and entrepreneurship, the majority of entrepreneurs working to do good in the world do so out of some motivation of faith. However, most accelerator programs either do not address this key motivating factor and source for one’s work or many entrepreneurs feel like they have to leave their faith at the door.
Eligible applicants include entrepreneurs who:
- Reside in the United States
- Have a concrete business idea
- Are in the early stages of launching their business
- Can share proven efforts toward launching their business idea
- Are committed to principles of their faith that guide them to make a positive impact on people, communities, or the environment through their venture
For more information, click here to visit the DO GOOD X Startup Accelerator application.
Yes. However, each team member must apply separately. If you are accepted to the accelerator program, each team member will receive a $500 discount off the registration fee, which brings your investment to $1,500.
DO GOOD X’s program content is specifically created for entrepreneurs in the United States context. All Fellows must reside in the United States.
No. Each cohort of Fellows is a diverse group of social entrepreneurs from across the United States. However, you do need to commit to be physically present for the entire duration of our in-person gatherings that occur the first week and the last week of the accelerator program. Please visit the Startup Accelerator application page for more details.
DO GOOD X’s accelerator works with both for-profit and nonprofit ventures. What’s most important is that your business is viable and has a positive social impact.
Typically, once accepted, the cost to attend is $2,000. However, we know during this time of uncertainty and COVID-19 it might be difficult for entrepreneurs to move forward with plans or chase their dreams. That is why we are offering an invest-what-you-can payment option for founders selected to join the 2020 class of DO GOOD X Fellows. Instead of paying the full $2,000 investment, you can invest any amount between $500 and $2,000 to participate in the accelerator program once accepted.
This investment in yourself and your business covers the following:
- Event lodging at a beautiful retreat space with all inclusive of meals prepared by an in-home chef that caters to all dietary restrictions for the 3 ½-day Jump Start and 5 ½-day Boot Camp.
- Shuttle service from/to the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport upon your arrival/departure for in-person gatherings.
- Access to mentors and coaches to help advance your business.
- An interactive and engaging curriculum for in-person gatherings, access to a 6-week online curriculum, and take-home workbooks with tools and resources to take your business to the next level and guide you toward discerning the next steps for your venture.
- Calls with the community of all DO GOOD X Alumni following the completion of the accelerator that provide insight and expertise from entrepreneurs in the field.
- A community of peers to cheer you along your journey!
Typically, we do. Applicants can apply for a scholarship and are eligible to receive up to $1,000 toward the cost to attend. The scholarship cannot be applied to travel expenses.
However, scholarships are not being offered for 2020. Instead, this year we are offering an invest-what-you-can payment option for founders selected to join the 2020 class of DO GOOD X Fellows. We know during this time of uncertainty and COVID-19 it might be difficult for entrepreneurs and we don’t want that to get in the way of you moving forward with plans or chasing your dreams. You can invest any amount between $500 and $2,000 to participate in the accelerator program once accepted.
If you’ve run into this phrase on our website, you might ask this question! DO GOOD X believes that social entrepreneurs and businesses for good move through the world and leave a positive impact and legacy on the people and communities entrepreneurs want to serve. This is a social good footprint, which is driven by an entrepreneur’s invisible capital and foundational principles that guide their work in the world.
DO GOOD X is innovated by the Forum for Theological Exploration (FTE), which is a leadership incubator for young adults who are interested in making a difference in the world through the exploration and pursuit of Christian ministry and teaching in theological schools. DO GOOD X understands there are many expressions of the Christian faith and does not require applicants to adhere to a particular denomination or practice in this religious tradition. However, applicants should identify as Christian and must demonstrate their commitment to develop and advance businesses that reflect principles of faith, courage, justice, generosity, purpose, and passion. These foundational principles will guide DO GOOD X’s efforts and your entrepreneurial work to make a positive impact on people, communities, and the environment in just and faithful ways.
No. We welcome applicants to apply if they meet eligibility requirements. However, since we are committed to providing opportunities for underrepresented entrepreneurs, the majority of our participant slots are allotted for entrepreneurs who meet this criteria.
DO GOOD X is innovated by the Forum for Theological Exploration (FTE), which is a leadership incubator for young adults who are interested in making a difference in the world through the exploration and pursuit of Christian ministry and teaching in theological schools. DO GOOD X understands there are many expressions of the Christian faith and does not require mentors to adhere to a particular denomination or practice in this religious tradition. However, mentors should be faith-rooted and must demonstrate their commitment to develop and advance businesses that reflect the Christian principles of faith, courage, justice, generosity, purpose, and passion.
We’re looking for mentors who have at least five years of experience as an entrepreneur with a proven track record of success in either a for-profit or non-profit business or a business leader who has helped entrepreneurs launch and grow a business.
Fellows are matched with mentors who have relevant business experience, skills, knowledge, or resources that can help them refine, launch, and scale their social impact venture.
No, mentors are not required to attend the Jump Start or Boot Camp weeks during the accelerator program. However, we strongly encourage mentors to attend the Pitch for Good event which takes place on the last day of the Boot Camp in November in Atlanta, Georgia.